The Prolite Girth needs to be sized and fitted correctly in order to ensure the maximum benefits.
Follow these guidelines:
- Prolite® Girths are measured in the standard way - buckle end to buckle end.
- They come in two sizes – narrow gauge and standard - and it is important to get the right one. Narrow gauge girths are designed specifically to fit horses (and ponies) with a narrower rib cage or forward girth groove (see below).
- If the flat area between the horse’s elbows measures less than 20cm, your horse needs the narrow gauge.
Or, if a sweat scraper won’t fit between the front legs, the horse is a narrow gauge fit.
Or, if the palm of your hand lies flat between the front legs, the horse is more likely to be a standard fit
Horses with a forward girth groove will also benefit from the increased elbow clearance provided by a narrow gauge girth (see pics below)
- Make sure you fit the girth with the curved section facing forward (towards the forelimbs). The front of the girth is clearly marked.
- Fit the longest length possible so the buckles fasten away from the pressure-sensitive area behind the elbow. When fully tightened, the top edge of the girth should be as close to the bottom edge of the saddlecloth as possible. Or, on a dressage saddle, aim to have two billet holes remaining on both sides.
- Always girth up evenly on both sides.
- DO NOT use the billet keeper. DO use the buckles.
- Don’t pull the horse’s front leg forward after girthing up. We have found that stretching the horse’s front leg like this simply draws more skin forward into the sensitive area behind the elbow.
- It is not uncommon for there to be a gap at the front edge of the girth between the material and the horse’s sternum, particularly when the horse is standing still. This is part of the design which allows the muscles of the shoulder girdle to move, instead of being blocked. The gap at the front does not indicate that pressure has transferred to the back edge of the girth.
- Use your Prolite® Girth for schooling, hacking and competition - the best results are achieved with regular use.